Dale Vander Linden
July 24, 2017
Vander Linden, Dale (Timber Dan), Age 85 of Delano passed away on Monday July 24, 2017. He was born on April 29, 1932 to Guy and Margaret (Fisher) Vander Linden in Murray, Iowa.
Dale was a Veteran of the USN, having served during the Korean War. He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Mary K., sons Stephen (JoAnne) Vander Linden, Michael (Cherry) Vander Linden, Bruce (Betty) Vander Linden; Doug (Mary) Vander Linden, brother Pete Vander Linden, and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Dale was preceded in death by his parents Guy and Katie Vander Linden, brothers Marvin, Richard, Ern, Don, Herman, Keith and Lee.
Dale was a University of Iowa electrical engineering graduate long employed in the space program and aerospace industry. Highlights include:
- Gemini and Apollo space programs
- Personally acquainted with astronauts Ed White, Roger Chaffee, Gus Grissom
- Redesign of space shuttle fuel tanks
- Never claimed to be a rocket scientist
Longtime Delano resident and active community member
- Delano American Legion – 48 years
- Instrumental in Sons of the American Legion omelet breakfast
- Lions Club – 46 years
- July 4th committee
- School board member
- Toastmasters – 56 years
- Boy Scout Troop 273
- Instrumental in pancake breakfast
- Colorado Lions Foundation Humanitarian Award (Founder of Timber Dan Antique and Collectible Show, 1985)
- Delano Citizen of the Year Award – 2013
- Planning commission
- Park board
- Disabled American Veterans
Memorial services were held on Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 11 a.m. at the Delano United Methodist Church in Delano, Minnesota. Gathering of family and friends took place at the church from 9 to 11 a.m. on Tuesday prior to the service. Inurnment with military honors was in the Cassel cemetery in Delano, Minnesota.
In Lieu of flowers, memorials preferred.